At a Glance
Basin Electric Power Cooperative is a consumer-owned, regional generation and transmission (G&T) cooperative providing wholesale power to member rural electric systems in nine states. The following statistics are for end-of-year (EOY) 2019.
- Capability chart indicates only generation owned by Basin Electric or purchased power longer than three years.
- Maximum capability in megawatts (MW)
Committed Projects 2020 and beyond
|Date of Completion||Name||Units||Capability in Megawatts||Owner/Seller||Contract End Date (if Purchased)|
|2020||Burke Wind Project||89 turbines||200||NextEra Energy||2050|
|2023||Aurora Wind Project||TBD||142||Tradewind Energy||2045|
|System||Joint Ownership||Basin Electric Owned||Basin Electric Maintained|
|Southwest Power Pool||Southwest Power Pool members||1,859||1,828|
|Common Use System||Basin Electric, Black Hills Power, Powder River Energy Corporation (PRECorp)||279||346|
|MBPP System||Basin Electric, Tri-State G&T, WMPA, MRES, Lincoln Electric, Heartland Consumers Power District||288||302|
|Basin Electric Total||2,469||2,535|
- Basin Cooperative Services, a not-for-profit subsidiary.
- Dakota Gasification Company, operates the Great Plains Synfuels Plant near Beulah, ND.
- Souris Valley Pipeline Ltd., a subsidiary of Dakota Gas, delivers CO2 for enhanced oil recovery.
- Dakota Coal Company, the fuel supplier for the Synfuels Plant, Antelope Valley Station, and Leland Olds Station.
- Wyoming Lime Producers, a division of Dakota Coal.
- Montana Limestone Company (MLC), a subsidiary of Dakota Coal.