First day of work
Congratulations on your new job at Basin Electric! We are so happy to have you joining the co-op family. Here are some tips to help get you ready for your first day of work.
What time should I get to work?
Please report to the receptionist at 8 a.m.
What about dress code?
- Business attire
- Business casual during summer months (Memorial Day to Labor Day)
- No shorts or frayed jeans
- Jeans can only be worn on designated Jeans Days, which are usually connected to a charitable giving cause.
Great Plains Synfuels Plant:
- Casual attire (jeans, t-shirts)
- No shorts or tank tops
- If your position requires steel-toed safety boots, you will need them the first week. Basin Electric will pay for them. Talk to your recruiter for details.
Where should I park?
Feel free to park in any undesignated parking space in our parking lot. At Headquarters, our main parking lot is now off 19th St.
What will I do when I get there?
An orientation is being scheduled for you. You will receive details about your orientation on your first day of employment.
What should I bring?
- Bring documents to provide evidence of identity and employment authorization
- Social security numbers and dates of birth for any dependents or beneficiaries
- Banking information or a voided check if you would like your paycheck to be direct deposited
- Marriage license (if applicable)
What do people do for lunch?
If you're working at Headquarters or the Great Plains Synfuels Plant, our cafeteria is available with reasonably priced meals. The cafeterias accept cash and debit or credit cards. There are ATMs available.
Or, you may bring your own lunch and eat in the cafeteria. Of course, you're also free to leave over lunch.
What day is payday? What about other benefits.
Payday is every other week. Please take a look at our benefits page. Benefits will also be discussed during orientation.
Do you have information on my new community?
What is the policy on smoking?
North Dakota law "prohibit[s] smoking, including the use of electronic smoking devices, in public places and most places of employment in the state, including certain outdoor areas."
Basin Electric has had and will continue to have the following policy in place for Headquarters: "The Cooperative buildings are smoke-free. Smoking is permitted outside in designated areas only. The Cooperative supports a safe and healthy working environment and encourages all employees to maintain a healthy lifestyle. Where smoking is permitted, the law prohibits smoking within 20 feet of entrance."
Smoking in company vehicles is prohibited.